After quite a successful short trip to the beach I returned to the workshop on Wednesday. I had lots of new things to work on which is always good!
1. Small Androgynoceras, Charmouth
I am finding more and more of these small green nodules - long may it continue! They almost always have a nice large ammonite inside - something which often the larger green nodules don't have (more later in my post)
This androg has some really nice yellow colours which is not often seen within a green.
2. Androgynoceras and Tragophyloceras, Charmouth
This was the largest green nodule I have found so far, it was so big that after I spent time digging it out of the slip I found a trip back to the car was necessary before looking for more because it totally filled up my backpack! I got very muddy which is always a sign of a good fossil hunt. I was disappointed to find that inside there was not a giant ammonite to reflect the nodules size! The addition of a Trago was welcome in this case. In the first photo you can see the nodule above next to the green after I had found the ammonite. The matrix was far too large so I hammered a fair amount off of the surround and cut a base which makes it a little different to most that I prepare. I removed the whole matrix from around and under most of the androg so it looks as though it is floating above the matrix.
3. Customer prep.
I started a few greens found by other people, a large spiny Becheiceras from Golden cap and a double (possibly tripple) androg from Stonebarrow. I will hopefully have these finished in time for my next post! It is definitely time for a shed clean before further prep happens.